Afrobeats is a genre of music that originated in West Africa in the 1970s and has since become popular all over the world. It is a fusion of traditional African music with elements of hip hop, reggae, and dancehall.
Afrobeats artists have been putting on some of the biggest performances in recent years. Here are a few of the most notable examples.
- Rema became the first African artiste to perform at the Ballon d’Or
- Davido performed for 89,000 football fans at the 2022 World Cup with over 1.5 billion people watching on TV.
- Burna Boy performing live before 80,000 fans at the London Stadium in the UK.
- Burna Boy at the Madison Square Garden in 2022, which was the first sold-out show by an African artist at the venue.
- Wizkid Sold out the O2 Arena for 3 consecutive Days.
Wizkid sold out the first performance in just 12 minutes, placing him alongside legends such as the Spice Girls and the Rolling Stones who sold out the venue in under 13 Minutes.
- Tiwa Savage at the Wireless Festival in 2022, where she was the first female African artist to headline the festival.
- “Tiwa Savage’s performance at the coronation of King Charles III was a watershed moment for Afrobeats. She was the first Afrobeats artist to perform at a coronation, and her performance showed the world that the genre is now a global force to be reckoned with. Savage was poised, confident, and charismatic, and her performance was full of energy and excitement. She was a fitting representative for Afrobeats on such a prestigious occasion.” – The Guardian (2023).
These are just a few of the biggest performances in the history of Afrobeats. Afrobeats artists are continuing to break records and push the boundaries of what is possible. With their talent, charisma, and energy, Afrobeats artists are sure to continue to put on amazing performances for years to come.